Welcome to Ruxandra Bondarescu's Page!
Welcome to my page. I am a postdoctoral fellow in the Physics Department at the University of Zurich. My scientific interests are in astrophysics, general relativity, cosmology, gravitational wave physics and geophysics; recently I have also done some work at the interface between general relativity and geophysics.
This is a copy of my CV . I am currently applying for professor positions world-wide.
In addition to being published in various journals, all my scientific work is freely available on the arXiv (note this is the arXiv link to my short author publication list; it excludes the LIGO collaboration papers). I also have a profile on google scholar and one on research gate .If you have questions related to my work please feel free to email me at ruxandraATphysik.uzh.ch. You can also read about some of the things I do on my personal blog .
My most recent work describes how the slow down of time (a general
relativistic effect) measured by atomic clocks can be used to monitor volcanoes and the solid-Earth tide (see our technical article ). My expertise is in general relativity and related topics. I have worked on:
1. The applicability of atomic clocks in testing general relativity, alternative theories of gravity, and geophysics.
2. Precursor flares for short gamma ray bursts.
3. Nonlinear effects in the r-mode instability of neutron stars.
4. Luke-warm Dark Matter.
5. Beams and mirror shapes for future ground-based
gravitational wave interferometers.
6. Simulations of boson stars and soliton stars in 3D.
Refereed Publications13. R. Bondarescu, A. Scharer, A. P. Lundgren, G. Hetenyi, N. Houlie, P. Jetzer and M. Bondarescu,
"Atomic clocks as a tool to monitor vertical surface motion", Geophysical Journal International, in press. arXiv:1506.02457 .
12. A. Scharer, R. Angelil R. Bondarescu , and P. Jetzer, "Testing Scalar-Tensor Theories and
Parametrized Post-Newtonian Parameters in Earth Orbit", Phys. Rev. D90 123005 (2014). [arXiv:1410:7914]
11. R. Angelil, P. Saha, R. Bondarescu , P. Jetzer, A. Scharer, A. Lundgren,
"Spacecraft Clocks and Relativity: Prospects for Future Satellite Missions", Phys. Rev. D89 , 064067 (2014). [arXiv:1402.6698]
10. R. Bondarescu, and I. Wasserman, "Nonlinear Development of the R-mode Instability and the Maximum Rotation Rate of Neutron Stars", Astrophys. Journal 778 , 9 (2013). [arXiv:1305.2335].
9. R. Bondarescu, M. Bondarescu, G. Hetenyi, L. Boschi, P. Jetzer,
and J. Balakrishna, "Geophysical Applicability of Atomic Clocks: Direct Continental Geoid Mapping",
Geophysical Journal International 191, pages 78-92, 2012. Journal Article
http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.2889. Description in the News.
8. D. Tsang, J. S. Read, T. Hinderer, A. L. Piro, and R. Bondarescu ,
"Resonant Shattering of Neutron Star Crusts", arXiv:1110.0467, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108 , 011102 (2012).
7. A. P. Lundgren, M. Bondarescu, R. Bondarescu and J. Balakrishna,
"Luke-warm dark matter: Bose condensation at finite temperatures. ", arXiv:1001.0051 ApJL 715 , L35 (2010).
6. R. Bondarescu, S. Teukolsky, and I. Wasserman,
"Spinning Down Newborn Neutron Stars: Nonlinear Development of the R-mode Instability",
arXiv:0809.3448 Phys. Rev. D 79, 104003 (2009).
5. A. P. Lundgren, R. Bondarescu , D. Tsang, M. Bondarescu,
"Finite Mirror Effects in Advanced Interferometric Gravitational Wave Detectors",
arxiv:0710.3808, Phys. Rev. D 77, 042003 (2008).
4. J. Balakrishna, R. Bondarescu , G. Daues, M. Bondarescu, "Numerical Simulations of Oscillating Soliton Stars: Excited States in Spherical Symmetry and Ground State Evolutions in 3D", arxiv:0710.4131, Phys. Rev. D 77, 024028 (2008).
3. R. Bondarescu, S. Teukolsky, and I. Wasserman,
"Spin Evolution of Accreting Neutron Stars: Nonlinear Development of the R-mode Instability",
arXiv:0704.0799, Phys. Rev. D 76, 064019 (2007).
2. J. Balakrishna, R. Bondarescu, G. Daues, F. Guzman, and E. Seidel,
"Evolution of 3D Boson Stars with Waveform Extraction",
Class. Quantum Grav. 23 (2006) 2631-2652, gr-qc/0602078.
1. R. Bondarescu, G. Allen, G. Daues, I. Kelley, M. Russell, E. Seidel, J. Shalf, M. Tobias,
"The Astrophysics Simulation Collaboratory Portal: a Framework for Effective Distributed Research",
Future Generation Computing Systems 21 (2005) 259-270, Special Issue on Advanced Grid Technologies.
PDF version of the paper Abstract through Science Direct
Ph.D. Thesis Ruxandra Bondarescu, Cornell University, August 2008. Articles about me
Interviu printre stele, Ziarul Timpul, Aprilie, 2011
Work in the Spotlight
1. The Geophysical Applicability of Atomic Clocks: Direct Continental Geoid Mapping work was widely featured in the news. Read MIT Technology review here , and the Welt der Phyisk review. There were many others.
2. The resonant shattering of neutron stars work was spotlighted by Physical Review Letters as extraordinary research! Read it here! Some other news stories about this work can be found in arstechnica and New Scientist.