Welcome to Ruxandra Bondarescu's Page!
Welcome to my page. I am a postdoctoral fellow in the Physics Department at the University of Zurich.
My scientific interests are in astrophysics, general relativity, cosmology, gravitational wave
physics and at the interface between general relativity and geophysics.
This is a copy of my CV .
A summary of my prior reseach in need of updating is below:
Refereed Publications12. A. Scharer, R. Angelil R. Bondarescu , and P. Jetzer, "Testing Scalar-Tensor Theories and
Parametrized Post-Newtonian Parameters in Earth Orbit", Accepted to Phys. Rev. D.
11. R. Angelil, P. Saha, R. Bondarescu , P. Jetzer, A. Scharer, A. Lundgren,
"Spacecraft Clocks and Relativity: Prospects for Future Satellite Missions", Phys. Rev. D89 , 064067 (2014). [arXiv:1402.6698]
10. R. Bondarescu, and I. Wasserman, "Nonlinear Development of the R-mode Instability and the Maximum Rotation Rate of Neutron Stars",
Astrophys. Journal 778 , 9 (2013). [arXiv:1305.2335].
9. R. Bondarescu, M. Bondarescu, G. Hetenyi, L. Boschi, P. Jetzer,
and J. Balakrishna, "Geophysical Applicability of Atomic Clocks: Direct Continental Geoid Mapping",
Geophysical Journal International 191, pages 78-92, 2012. Journal Article
http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.2889. Description in the News.
8. D. Tsang, J. S. Read, T. Hinderer, A. L. Piro, and R. Bondarescu ,
"Resonant Shattering of Neutron Star Crusts", arXiv:1110.0467, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108 , 011102 (2012).
7. A. P. Lundgren, M. Bondarescu, R. Bondarescu and J. Balakrishna,
"Luke-warm dark matter: Bose condensation at finite temperatures. ", arXiv:1001.0051
ApJL 715 , L35 (2010).
6. R. Bondarescu, S. Teukolsky, and I. Wasserman,
"Spinning Down Newborn Neutron Stars: Nonlinear Development of the R-mode Instability",
arXiv:0809.3448 Phys. Rev. D 79, 104003 (2009).
5. A. P. Lundgren, R. Bondarescu , D. Tsang, M. Bondarescu,
"Finite Mirror Effects in Advanced Interferometric Gravitational Wave Detectors",
arxiv:0710.3808, Phys. Rev. D 77, 042003 (2008).
4. J. Balakrishna, R. Bondarescu , G. Daues, M. Bondarescu,
"Numerical Simulations of Oscillating Soliton Stars: Excited States in Spherical Symmetry and Ground State Evolutions in 3D",
arxiv:0710.4131, Phys. Rev. D 77, 024028 (2008).
3. R. Bondarescu, S. Teukolsky, and I. Wasserman,
"Spin Evolution of Accreting Neutron Stars: Nonlinear Development of the R-mode Instability",
arXiv:0704.0799, Phys. Rev. D 76, 064019 (2007).
2. J. Balakrishna, R. Bondarescu, G. Daues, F. Guzman, and E. Seidel,
"Evolution of 3D Boson Stars with Waveform Extraction",
Class. Quantum Grav. 23 (2006) 2631-2652, gr-qc/0602078.
1. R. Bondarescu, G. Allen, G. Daues, I. Kelley, M. Russell, E. Seidel, J. Shalf, M. Tobias,
"The Astrophysics Simulation Collaboratory Portal: a Framework for Effective Distributed Research",
Future Generation Computing Systems 21 (2005) 259-270, Special Issue on Advanced Grid Technologies.
PDF version of the paper Abstract through Science Direct
Ph.D. Thesis Ruxandra Bondarescu, Cornell University, August 2008. Articles about me
Interviu printre stele, Ziarul Timpul, Aprilie, 2011
Work in the Spotlight
1. The Geophysical Applicability of Atomic Clocks: Direct Continental Geoid Mapping work was featured in the news.
A really good decription of it can be found here. .
A spotlight of the work in German can be found here.
2. The resonant shattering of neutron stars work was spotlighted by Physical Review Letters as extraordinary research! Read it here!
Some other news stories about this work can be found in arstechnica and New Scientist.
Note: This list is not up to date. I gave up posting all my talks in 2007. See my CV for a more current seminar list.
1. "Rossby waves in neutron stars", CAM 2007, Montreal, Canada, August 2007, (Travel Grant from APS)
2. "Spin Evolution of Accreting Neutron Stars and the R-mode Instability", GR18, Australia, July 2007 (ICPS travel grant + Cornell Travel Grant + NSF travel grant).
3. "Spin Evolution of Accreting Neutron Stars: Nonlinear Effects of the R-mode Instability", East Coast Gravity Meeting and The Teukolsky Birthday Symposium, Cornell, June 2007 (free; I also chaired a session ).
4. "Spin Evolution of Neutron Stars: Nonlinear Effects of the R-mode Instability", April APS Meeting, Florida, 2007 (Travel Grant from both Cornell and APS)
5. "R-modes in Spinning neutron stars", International Conference for Physics Students, Bucharest, Romania, August 2006.
6. "How fast can neutron stars spin?", CAM 2005 (Travel grant awarded by APS that covered all expenses)
7. "Evolution of 3D boson stars", April APS Meeting 2004, Tampa, Florida (Travel grant awarded by APS to attend this conference)
8. "Boson Stars", East Coast Gravity Meeting, March 2003
9. "Introduction to Boson Stars", West University of Timisoara (invited talk)
Old computer science talks
1. "Requirements for Grid Enabling an Application", presented at the GAT Workshop, Cardiff University, United Kingdom, July 2003 Slides
2. "The Astrophysics Simulation Collaboratory Portal", presented at the GridLab All Hands conference and workshop, Eger, Hungary, April 2003 Powerpoint Slides
3. "The ASC Portal: A Tool for Numerical Relativity", presented at Louisiana State University, February, 2003
4. "Grid and Portal Technology Tutorial", presented at West University of Timisoara, Romania, March, 2003
5. "Short overview of research activities at the LSU CAPITAL + Short Cactus Tutorial", presented as part of the Gravitational Waves Fun - Louisiana State University, January, 2004 (Slides)
Teaching and TAing
MaxEnt files: Sam's Extrig Talk.
The Penn State Gravitational Waves Group website http://www.gwastro.org.
These are two webpages with pics from boson star simulations. They were primarly written to convince my undergraduate advisor that we had enough for a paper and it worked :).
Boson Star Results (Last Updated Jan 25, 2004)
Older Webpage with Results (Last Updated Dec 1, 2003)